expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, May 01, 2015

Black Belt Essay by Connor Maguire

What Black Belt Means to Me
Connor Maguire
The black belt means many things to me. It represents many, many classes, practice, hard work and determination as well as all the time put in to get here.  In second grade, I started karate, now finally, in 8th grade, I am ready to test.  I had to be determined, to keep going, it's a long road from white to black.  Sparring is fun and gives you lots of confidence.  Confidence to stand your ground and to stand back up and keep fighting too. .  It has given me confidence to stand up for myself, my beliefs and what is right, even when my friends aren't making great choices.
You need to practice until you are perfect and be fit.  This belt has meaning to me because it has helped me in many aspects of my life.  Because of the fitness part of this test, I have had to work hard to become physically fit.  That is not easy for me.  I've never been very fit.  I've always been active, but not really fit.  To get ready for this test and the personal fitness merit badge in Boy Scouts, my parents found a trainer to help me with creating a fitness goal and the proper form when exercising.  I now work out with Chris, my trainer, twice a week and go to the gym another 3 times per week to work on my own.  It has been amazing the changes that have happened.  I have actually become stronger and can do more pushups than some of my friends - that's a big deal for me.  I recognize from this hard work, that being physically fit is a good thing and that to reach a goal you must work at it and do whatever it takes to reach it.
The black belt has meaning because it makes me proud to know I will have accomplished something when I earn it.  Many quit along the way or lose interest, I have always known that I want to go all the way to black.  I learned that you need to work hard to achieve anything in life and the same is true for a black belt.  I have worked hard studying all parts of testing and practicing to earn the belt. I have put in a lot of effort get here eligible for testing.  I needed to put in the time to practice and exercise to get to the point where I can actually test. 
I have to endure to get this belt as well.  During the different phases of the test I will have to endure to get through them.  Because of this belt I also know I have done something worthwhile with my time and not wasted it. I feel like this is a large accomplishment in my life so far. I learned that being more fit makes you feel better as well as perform better. I learned that you need to work hard to achieve anything in life and the same is true for a black belt. All of these things give the black belt meaning to me. 

Visit www.amerikickmedford.com for more information about our programs. 


No comments: