expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, May 15, 2015

Black Belt Essay by Samson Gutwirth

Samson Gutwirth
Since earning my senior black belt, I’ve learned so much. Teaching students, talking with other Senseis and competing have taught me the lessons I’m about to write about. The grandest thing I’ve learned is probably the fact that setting a goal is important. For so long, in Martial Arts, I’ve been going with flow, trying when I had to, and not trying when it wasn’t necessary. I’ve learned that without a doubt, that climbing the highest mountain, or shooting for the moon alike is more important than anything. I’ve also learned that teaching the next group of up and coming Martial Artists to my full capacity is too important to put into words.
            Some ask, why choose this as your goal? Why climb the highest mountain? Why choose to shoot for the moon? For so long I’ve only answered that question with a simple “why not?” Now however, I answer “I’m taking this goal, this challenge, not because it is easy, but because it is hard. Because that goal will serve to show who I really am, and that challenge is one I can accept, and one I’m willing to uphold, and one I can take a lesson from”. I only answer this way because of the things I’ve learned from receiving and having my senior black belt. Seeing students achieve their goals is amazing. They choose goals that they believe are so difficult. Through seeing how they choose their goals and then live up to them, I have learned that choosing a goal that is difficult for oneself is more important than ever.
            Since getting my black belt, I’ve also learned that teaching the next group of white belts or purple belts or red belts to the best of my own ability is one of the most important things ever. If that next group of potential black belts isn’t taught well, what help are we giving them? What motivation are we giving them to go forward in that goal of black belt? If a Sensei doesn’t expose the students to his or her abilities and indomitable spirit, then it doesn’t show that group of Martial Artists something to work towards. Something to be. If Senseis don’t work their hardest, and do their best all the time, then what kind of role model is that for the students? The truth is that it’s not giving the students a role model. If a Sensei doesn’t work their hardest, it doesn’t do anything for the students.


            Every person on this planet learns their own lessons in different ways, and every person has a different experience. However, I believe that one of the best ways to learn life lessons is through Martial Arts. Setting that next goal and driving to the best you can be is more important than anything, and so is teaching others to do the same. These are lessons and ideals, I wouldn’t have learned otherwise if I hadn’t involved myself in Martial Arts and gotten my black belt. This is what I’ve learned since getting my black belt.

Visit www.amerikickmedford.com for more information about our programs. 

No comments: